Tricky Word Pebbles - Set 1
Learn tricky words with this tactile set of 64 high-frequency word pebbles. Made from an innovative stone mix, pebbles are colour-coded in five groups so they can be easily matched to phases 2-5 of Letters and Sounds. Accompanying leaflet includes engaging game ideas that will support children as they learn to read and spell tricky words. Contains 64 pebbles.
• Developing their knowledge of common exception words (noting unusual correspondences between spelling and sound and where these occur in the word)
Notes and Guidance (non-statutory)
• Ensuring that pupils are aware of the GPCs they contain, however unusual these are, supports spelling later.
• Knowledge of common exception words supports their fluency, as well as increasing their confidence in their reading skills. Fluent word reading greatly assists comprehension, especially when pupils come to read longer books.
Letters and Sounds
• There are 100 common words that recur frequently in much of the written material young
children read and that they need when they write.
• Reading a group of these words each day, by applying grapheme-phoneme knowledge as it is acquired, will help children recognise them quickly.