Addacus Set One
Then you need Addacus – an exciting step-by-step multisensory maths programme by the authors of Beat Dyslexia, ready to use straight out of the box!
The components are designed to address pupils’ problems with:
• The language of maths
• One-to-one correspondence and conservation of number
• The value or concept of each number (the ‘threeness’ of three)
• Number facts e.g. number bonds; multiplication tables
• Place value
• The four operations +, ?, ×, ÷
• Notation and recording.
• The Addacus, a cleverly designed ‘abacus with a difference’ with clear cubes
• Teacher’s Book 1 – 96 pages of multisensory activity worksheets
• CD of activity instructions, stories, songs and poems
• 27 coloured plastic numberstrips
• 10 coloured strings and clear cubes to make your ‘stringalongs’
• colour coded tactile numbercards for numbers 0-9, basic mathematical symbols and vocabulary.
The Addacus helps teach place value, showing that the value of each digit can change according to its position. The gold, silver and bronze colours of the posts help to reinforce the connection with money and medals and clearly depict value, great for teaching about money and decimals later on. The teachers book has photocopiable Workbook, pupilss follow a highly structured, multisensory and cumulative system of enjoyable activities to gain a firm grasp of the number concepts of one to nine. Worksheets are varied and carefully structured, providing small steps in the learning process. All instructions are on the page so the programme can be delivered by less experienced members of staff.
The CD talks the pupil through the first three lessons and provides songs, stories and poems, as well as listening and mental arithmetic exercises.
The nuber strips with their appealing rainbow colours and simple vertical and lengthways joining mechanisms, these numberstrips illustrate the values of numbers and number bonds, addition and subtraction, as well as multiplication, division and equivalent fractions.
String alongs using colour coded laces to match the number strips and rainbow numbers from 0 to 9, pupils thread clear plastic unit cubes to make their own stringalongs, reinforcing number values and bonds and discovering for themselves the characteristics of each number.
Reading and spelling using colour coded laces to match the number strips and rainbow numbers from 0 to 9, pupils thread clear plastic unit cubes to make their own stringalongs, reinforcing number values and bonds and discovering for themselves the characteristics of each number.