The Socially Speaking Game teaches and reinforces important social skills through the fun of a board game. This enjoyable game aims to encourage and reinforce effective social interactions as well as imporving self-esteem, listening skills, receptive and expressive language, and problem solving.
Using a variety of role-play and problem-solving activities, children are given the opportunity to practise vital skills including:
• Eye contact
• Telephoning others
• Showing an interest in what others are saying
• Sitting appropriately and still
• Asking and answering questions
• Using your voice effectively
• Developing and maintaining friendships
• Communicating in a wide number of situations, e.g. school, friend's house, restaurant
Players take turns to shake the die and move around the board the number of squares shown. Whichever square they land on, they will be given an opportunity to answer a question that requires them to think about a social situation or to practice a social skill. When they land on a situation square, players pick up a situation card and are challenged to complete a task that focuses on one of four different areas: Socially Speaking, School, Out and About, Home. The first player to complete the four different situation tasks and then get back to the finish is the winner.
• Gameboard• 100 question cards• 6 playing pieces• 24 coloured rings• A die• 8-page teacher's notes booklet
Age Suitability: 7 years +
Approximate playing time: 20-30 minutes.
Also available is the Socially Speaking book to complement the game: ADMT00416